This comprehensive 3.5 x 5.5” pocket guide is designed to be broadly used by families and advocacy organizations to respond when a Native woman goes missing. It provides:
- Immediate steps to take in the first 72 hours
- Background information on missing and murdered Indigenous women (MMIW)
- What legal rights exist and where they come from
- Who has authority to investigate the missing person’s case
- Who has jurisdiction to prosecute a murder, abduction, or related MMIW crime
- What other resources are available to assist the family or Native community
This pocket guide is a part of our MMIW Toolkit for Understanding and Responding to Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women for Families and Communities.