When a Loved One Goes Missing - Understanding and Responding to the Crisis of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women
NOTICE DECEMBER 2023: Thank you for your interest in a resource belonging to our MMIW Toolkit. We are currently updating the Pocket Guide, Quick Reference Guide, and Brochure. We will have these materials available by January 2024. Please see our other material, including our Missing Person Flyer Template, Poster, Jurisdiction Assessment Tool, and MMIW Database of Response Contacts (see on main MMIW Toolkit page within the accordion menu).
This comprehensive 3.5 x 5.5” pocket guide is designed to be broadly used by families and advocacy organizations to respond when a Native woman goes missing. It provides:
- Immediate steps to take in the first 72 hours
- Background information on missing and murdered Indigenous women (MMIW)
- What legal rights exist and where they come from
- Who has authority to investigate the missing person’s case
- Who has jurisdiction to prosecute a murder, abduction, or related MMIW crime
- What other resources are available to assist the family or Native community
This pocket guide is a part of our MMIW Toolkit for Understanding and Responding to Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women for Families and Communities.
MMIW Toolkit for Families and Communities